-Huben official bird list
-Huben is classified as an important bird area (TW017)
-The Huben temple lies at an altitude of 216 meters above sea level (GPS measured)
-Mosquitoes are rather common in this lowland habitat. (As compared with no biting insects whatsoever while birding in Taiwan’s mid and high elevation forests.)
-Basic accommodation is available at the Pitta Café Hostel, otherwise there’re quite a few hotel options about 15 km away in Douliou city. (Also written as Touliu.)
-Available at the Pitta Café are some snacks and drinks, souvenirs, information, booklets, guiding etc. and the friendly staff will certainly try to help you with whatever quest you may have although not much English is spoken.
-Pitta Café ; Tel 05-5890375 No.56, Sanquan Rd., Linnei Township, Yunlin County 643, Taiwan (R.O.C.) -Pitta café website; http://diary.blog.yam.com/hubenpitta
- Central Taiwan Birder ; Birding in Huben-Hushan area.
- Anti Hushan Dam blogspot ; Birding in Huben-Hushan area.
-OBC birdwatching in Taiwan includes a note on Huben.
-Birdlife factsheet ; Fairy Pitta
An example line from the factsheet; Huben-Hushan IBA in Yunlin County, Taiwan, supports the largest known breeding population of the species, but it is seriously threatened by the proposed Hushan Dam Project, which would flood 422 ha of key habitat. Despite opposition from conservation groups this project has not been stopped and disturbance at the construction site saw the number of breeding birds drop to 18 in 2007, from 32 the previous year (Fang Woei-Horng in litt. 2007).
- Hushan dam Project; Birdlife news - Antihushandam blog
- Taiwan Yuhina.webs ; Birding in Taiwan incl. page on Huben.
- Sitou Forest Reserve is a well known birding location and lies nearby Huben. Going through the towns of Chushan and Luku you may reach mid elevation forest here with a different set of bird species as compared to the lowland habitat of Huben.
- Story ; My local patch is a temple with fairies.